Javier BURCHARD, DVM, MSc, PhD (McGillU.)
Animal Health, Food Safety, Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures EUCTP II Key Expert
Mr. Burchard has been involved in research, academia and extension acting as long term key expert or director in multimillion research and technology transfer projects working with major donors such as the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), EUROPEAID (DG DEVCO), pharmaceutical industry and governmental agencies in Canada, Argentina, Brazil and China. He had the opportunity to work in developed and emerging economies and interact extensively with government officials and policy makers providing technical guidance to develop, implement and report research and capacity building short and medium term programs.
- Close to 30 years of experience in animal health, veterinary research, veterinary regulations, food safety and public health and sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) measures and standards for food.
- Advising governments to establish policy, legislative and regulatory frameworks; enhancing more mature legislative and regulatory framework and enforcement of practices in compliance with EU standards, OIE, Codex Alimentarius and WTO-SPS standards
- Since 2010 supporting EU policy dialogues with China on Agriculture and Food Safety between DG SANTE, DG AGRI, NCP, MOA, NHFP and AQSIQ contributing to recognised advancement of relations and agreements
- Strong experience in liaising with both national and international beneficiaries and stakeholders including Ministries of Agriculture, Ministries of Health, international organisations and committees (Food and Agriculture Organisation, World Organisation for Animal Health, World Bank), MS Embassies and the private sector (Chambers of Commerce).
- Advisor and consultant to the private sector with a focus on the dairy sector in Brazil and Mexico and expertise in facilitation of technology transfer particularly for quality control laboratories
- Sound knowledge of EC directives and standards (related to additive standards, food contact material directives, labelling directives, animal health, organic agriculture etc.) applied in Trade Related Technical Assistance in areas of food safety and SPS
- Experience in coordinating international teams in EU strategic partnership countries (China, Brazil, Mexico and Canada)
- Experienced in designing and delivering capacity building to support reforms of food safety and animal health policies
- A qualified lecturer, researcher and practical trainer, including train-the-trainer courses, field workshops, technical exchanges and symposia for professionals in agriculture, veterinary public health, livestock health,